Skip to main content

R. Kelly’s songs that resonate with Nigerians

 

R. Kelly’s songs that resonate with Nigerians


R.Kelly



R Kelly, a well-known American R&B musician, was given a 30-year prison term this week for abusing helpless women and youngsters for years while benefiting financially from his popularity.

Many of Kelly's songs are well-known in Nigeria, where he is jokingly referred to as the "King of RnB." On Saturday Beats, we examine some of his songs that are still popular in Nigeria.

Track "Trapped in the Closet"


The music series "Trapped in the Closet" tells the tale of a one-night stand that started off a series of events that progressively exposed a larger web of lies and deceit. The 33-chapter song series was published between 2005 and 2012. Although it had no explicit material, it was a significant hits.

Take a Step in the Name of Love


Step in the Name of Love by R. Kelly is a song that many wedding guests can easily relate to because it was a standard at many weddings.

The song, which promotes closeness, points out that even if falling in love can be difficult, it is still a lovely emotion that can make people happy.

This song is both inspirational and gospel in character, and it can be found on the 2004 album "Happy People/U Saved Me." The song highlights tales of people overcoming challenging circumstances.

Many Nigerians found solace in the song because it reminded them that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what they may be going through. Additionally, it supports the adage "When there is life, there is hope."

Best in the World


Although it was only made available as a single in November 2001, "Ali," a film about legendary boxer Mohammed Ali, utilized it as its music (formerly Cassius Clay).

The song, which essentially comprised affirmations of one's own life, was frequently played at the conclusion of sporting events, graduations, and other times of success. I'm that star in the sky, I'm that mountain peak up high, Hey I made it, hmm, I'm the greatest in the world, according to some of the song's lyrics.


"I Believe I Can Fly"

I Believe I Can Fly, which was included on the soundtrack for the 1996 movie Space Jam, served as many Nigerians' first exposure to R. Kelly. The song, which is among the singer's most popular songs, later developed into a sort of anthem that was chanted by both young and elderly.

I believe I can fly/I believe I can touch the sky/ I think about it every night and day/ Spread my wings and fly away/ I believe I can soar/ I imagine me racing through that open door/ I believe I can fly are some of the song's lyrics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Name tag

 

Elections in 2023: Christians should avoid the "Siddon appearance," says the Catholic Church

 Elections in 2023: Christians should avoid the "Siddon appearance," says the Catholic Church Adewale Martins, the Catholic Archbishop of the Metropolitan See of Lagos, has urged Christians to actively engage in the general elections of 2023 and to avoid the "siddon look." At the commissioning of a parish project and the administration of the sacrament of confirmation to over 800 candidates at SS Joachim & Anne Catholic Church, Meiran, in Lagos, Mr. Martins offered his counsel. He advised Christians to abandon the "Siddon appearance" and vote in accordance with their consciences. Christians should also pray for peace in Nigeria, Mr. Martins emphasized. "We must never give up because God will provide for His people and bring peace back to our nation. The Catholic leader in Lagos advised praying the rosary as a weapon of battle against wickedness and not giving up since God's truth will endure.  Mr. Martins continued. God is requesting that we d...

Governor Bala Mohmmed Prays For Peace In Nigeria

 Governor Bala Mohmmed of Bauchi State Prays For Peace In Nigeria Bauchi State Governor Bala Muhammed As the nation continues to celebrate this Friday, which coincides with Arfa Day, full of grace and blessings of the Almighty, Governor Bala Muhammad congratulates the people of Bauchi State on the passing of this day. Senator Bala Abdulkadir took the opportunity to call on the Muslim community to pray for peace, economic development and a prosperous rainy season. God has answered our prayers and accepted the prayers of our pilgrims and brought them home safely.